Thursday, January 31, 2013

15 Paintings in 15 Days (and one to grow on!)


On Tuesday I finished my 15 paintings in 15 days challenge
(Half of this challenge: 30 Paintings in 30 Days)
But it was such a pleasant, balmy day on Wednesday I had to get outside. 

Normally I'm not thrilled to paint on overcast days but Carlson's book on landscape painting has given me a fresh appreciation for even (and especially) gray days. More on that later.

Here's a step by step of the piece I painted.
This is a very different process than when I paint larger, more detailed works.
With the larger works I have a clear idea of how the painting will look when completed. With these I'm making it up as I go, seeing what the paint will let me get away with... and I have little idea how it will turn out. 

I moved some of the trees closer to the mine ruins to narrow the "frame".

I applied paint & scraped it off with my palette knife multiple time during this piece.

Gotta get that bright yellow/new wood support beam in there. (Ugh.)

Must tone down the red! 

Gray Day
12x9, oil





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...