Tuesday, July 31, 2012

3x4 foot

This is a photo from 2008, painting studio class at VCU.

and another, still 2008. 

3x4ft. Biggest I've painted (besides a few murals). Biggest canvas I've painted. This was back in the day I could go to the wood shop & make my own canvas frames. I had a ton of fun on this one. It was  3 or 4 maybe 5 paintings before it became the coalmines. I don't remember exactly how many. I would paint for 3 hours and then the teacher would tell us to wipe it out. Good lesson to not take painting too seriously & just enjoy the application of the paint & colors. I painted on this one canvas for an entire semester. I never finished it. The semester ended & I still didn't know where I wanted to go with the colors or the foliage. 

So it's been in the closet at my parents' house till last year, then leaning against a wall & collecting dust behind our bed. Now I'm back at it. I sanded it down again & added color...

Still much to be done, but here's a look at this "old friend" of mine:


I looked over while we were eating dinner & Theo was standing like this. Struck me as funny, like a theatrical backdrop.


I might leave it like that for a few weeks. I might sand it down again, I might build up the colors or i might tone them down again. I don't know. Just trying to enjoy the process of applying the paint and see where it takes me. 

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...