Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Climbing Mount Rainier, 18x24

Climbing Mount Rainier, 18x24, oil sold

This commission appeared on my newsletter at the beginning of the month. This piece has to be one of my favorite commissions of all time. I had a low dpi reference photo, which can make things difficult but with the graphic nature of this piece plus those dazzling deep blues, this piece, while challenging, was quite fun and gratifying.

 Below are the step by step photos of the creation of this painting.

1. Before beginning the final piece I completed a loose 6x8" study painting and sent to the client for approval:

 2. All elements are penciled in, then the first layers of the background are applied.

 3. The first layers of the snow in the foreground are begun below:

A shot of how I set up to paint from the study:

 5. More layers added to the sky, background and snow, figures and gear are painted in as well.
Climbing Mount Rainier
18x24, oil on canvas
sold

Closer look at the figures:

Mount Rainier is located in Washington State, elevation 14,411 ft. 


Interested in commissioning a custom painting?
E-mail me for more info or head over to the Purchasing FAQ page on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...