Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Tools of the Trade: Palette Knife & "Dusk" 8x6

Dusk
8x6, oil
sold


A bit about the tools of the trade.

Everyone knows about paint brushes. Yes, I use them to apply paint. Just as important are the tools to remove paint and push it around on the canvas.


The palette knife is not only useful for mixing paint, but for controlling the amount of paint on the canvas. In the photo below I scraped a "spot" for the spindly tree on the left as well as removing some of the too-wet-and-too-thick paint in the foreground.


The more I paint the more I find there is no formula to making a painting. What worked yesterday won't work today. The each landscape brings another discovery in my journey as a painter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...