Friday, March 15, 2013

Crimson and Copper 8x6

To my Midlothian friends, does this house look familiar? You would probably recognize it immediately from the front. Care to take a guess?


Crimson and Copper
8x6, oil on canvas
● sold

Naming a painting can be a tricky thing. Sometimes a title comes to my as I paint. Sometimes not. Sometimes all the wrong titles come to me. For example, "Be Mine", "February's Flame", "The Love Seat",  and something with "Cupid" in the title. Luckily I have a husband who helps out by veto-ing my tacky titles.



I've been reading quite a bit on the history of Midlothian. Fascinating stuff. Around 1950 the Lea Company built a sawmill near the location of this house. One of the books said the home in my painting was probably build by the company to house mill workers. 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...