Friday, March 15, 2013

Crimson and Copper 8x6

To my Midlothian friends, does this house look familiar? You would probably recognize it immediately from the front. Care to take a guess?


Crimson and Copper
8x6, oil on canvas
● sold

Naming a painting can be a tricky thing. Sometimes a title comes to my as I paint. Sometimes not. Sometimes all the wrong titles come to me. For example, "Be Mine", "February's Flame", "The Love Seat",  and something with "Cupid" in the title. Luckily I have a husband who helps out by veto-ing my tacky titles.



I've been reading quite a bit on the history of Midlothian. Fascinating stuff. Around 1950 the Lea Company built a sawmill near the location of this house. One of the books said the home in my painting was probably build by the company to house mill workers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...