Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Making Of: "Echoes of Mercy" 24x48, oil, Painting of the Nickel Bridge on the James River

While working on paintings for my show, I knew I wanted a few bigger ones, along with a good selection of small pieces.

See all 46 paintings in person:
  "Waterways"
Exhibit dates: Dec. 1, 2014 - Feb. 2, 2015
9770 Gayton Rd, Henrico, VA 23238
 
I started with this study:
 
"High Point" 
10x20, oil on canvas
 View of the Nickel Bridge over the James River from Riverside Drive
Richmond, Virginia

I really enjoyed the process of painting the small one, especially the sky and the foreground trees. Getting the bridge at the right angle and in a straight line was tricky. As the last bits of the smaller painting were coming together I got an itch to turn it into a larger painting.

Enter the 4 foot canvas:
Above is the under-painting in alizarin and burnt umber.

I need to invest in a "big girl" easel, instead of spending so much time playing with wing nuts and levels on these tripod easels.

First step: the sky

Next: middle-ground

Not pictured: The step when I added the foreground trees and the 3-4 times I repainted them and the middle ground/river/Nickel Bridge.


"Echoes of Mercy"
24x48, oil on canvas
  View of Richmond's Nickel Bridge over the James River from Riverside Drive.
Richmond, Virginia

It was a challenge to get this painting properly exposed in a photograph. I might tweak the levels a bit more and repost later... Really, you gotta go see it in person. ;) It will be available at For Art's Sake Gallery during December 2014-January 2015.


Detail image:
Detail image:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...