Friday, August 23, 2013

Painting on the beach, Nags Head, NC

Last week my parents rented a beach house & invited the family for our 3rd annual beach vacation.
We did some biking, some sunset watching and of course a lot of swimming.



I brought my painting gear. I have a whole new respect for those everyday beach plein air painters. I  got more sand in my palette and on my paintings than I thought possible. My painting almost blew away once when I was packing up to leave. I think I even got a little sea sick while painting (on solid ground -- the beach) at Jockey's Ridge one particularly gusty day. Someone said the wind was in the middle 20's mph.



Despite all that painting on the beach, battling the wind and the sand beats painting in the studio any day! Below are a few of my favorites from the week. (Most of the sand has been scrapped off the paintings & a few touch-ups were made once I returned home.)


 
Afternoon at the Beach
8x10, oil on panel
sold

The Blue House on the Beach
9x12, oil on panel
sold

Clouds Over Jockey's Ridge
6x6, oil on panel
sold


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...